Friday, February 1, 2008

McCain Derangement Syndrome

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

I could go on, but you get the drift.

It's here. It's over the top. It's time to get a grip.

I don't like John McCain. He was just about (but probably not quite) my last choice among the Republican field (leaving out the dingbat factor). But when Ann Coulter says that Hillary would be a stronger supporter of our troops in Iraq and the war against terrorists she just betrays how shallow her so-called thinking really goes. I'll give Rush the benefit of the doubt and assume that when push comes to shove he'll be able to distinguish between McCain (should he win the nomination) and his Democrat opponent.

A few months ago, I was also telling people I'd vote for Hillary or stay home before I'd vote for McCain. I had that luxury because I didn't expect I'd ever be faced with that choice. But I was bluffing. And staying home is never an option, IMO. Here's how I try to look at it: if my vote (or lack thereof) alone would determine the next occupant of the oval office, what would I do? What choice could I live with. What choice do I think my country could live with?

We should never take our right to vote for granted. And the voting booth is the place to exercise our adult responsibilities as citizens of the USA. It's not the place for temper tantrums.