Friday, April 11, 2008

Clinging

Ok, so here I am, a typical Pennsylvanian in my small Pennsylvania town, clinging to my guns, my religion, my antipathy and my xenophobia as a way to explain my frustrations. And waiting, hoping and praying for Barack Obama to tell me what else I am and how to fix it. 'Cause yes he can!

Not.

One of my primary frustrations at the moment is how many Obama signs I see going up in my neighborhood. Not my immediate neighborhood. That's mostly Hillary, if anything, and so far not much of anything. But in the surrounding area, they're popping up like noxious weeds (and we've got plenty of those, too, this spring).

I don't know. Maybe people out here don't actually consider themselves "small town." We prefer to think of ourselves as Philadelphia suburbs. Obama probably wasn't talking about Chester or Montgomery or Delaware or Bucks counties in his San Francisco fundraising speech. He was surely talking about other places, further to the north and west of here. Anywhere other than here. That's one way to avoid feeling insulted by basically being called an ignorant backwards hick by the presumptive presidential nominee of the Democratic Party.

No, 'round these parts, people are sophisticated. Savvy. Politically astute. No clinging to guns, religion or xenophobia around here. Need proof? Obama signs abound. 'Nuff said.

Hey. Here's one more photo to close out the week. Crows at Masada.


Shabbat Shalom.