Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Waiting

So. Here we are, waiting for the polls to close in Pennsylvania. Oh, good. The sun's coming back out. Anyway, Barack O. managed to snag himself a last bit of bad press yesterday with this little act.

Barack Obama kicked off a day of campaigning in Pennsylvania by dropping by a Scranton diner for a breakfast of waffles, sausage and orange juice.But the press corps went hungry — hungry for an answer that is.The Illinois senator brushed aside a question from one reporter on his reaction to former President Jimmy Carter’s description of a positive meeting with leaders of the Islamist Palestinian group Hamas.“Why can’t I just eat my waffle?” Obama replied.

And pressed for an answer, he reiterated his dedication to his waffle. No, this is not an event of momentous importance, but, yes, it's newsworthy. The man is making himself less and less available as the election looms nearer. Odd, that, for a serious presidential contender. Odder still that he still seems happy enough to respond to the puffball questions.

This commenter at Hot Air summed it up rather well, I think.

If he doesn’t want to be questioned about issues he should maybe take his waffles back to his hotel room. Or, you know, maybe not run for president altogether.

Either way, it sounds pretty retarded to say, “I know I’m running for the most powerful office in the world and I’ve blasted the last televised debate as a travesty and a sham because it distracted us all from the real issues, but don’t ask me about any of those real issues when I’m out pressing the flesh in public one day before a huge election because you’re distracting me from these tasty waffles.”

BTW, in all fairness, BO has now answered the question (or at least a facsimile thereof).

WASHINGTON (AFP) — White House hopeful Barack Obama Tuesday slammed last week's meeting between former US president Jimmy Carter and the exiled leader of Hamas militants as "a bad idea."

"As I said before I think it was a bad idea for president Carter to meet with Hamas without having recognized Israel or denounced terrorism or acknowledged previous agreements given that they are not heads of state," he told a Pittsburgh press conference."To sit down with them, I think it gave them a legitimacy that was unnecessary."