Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Farewell to Rudy

The impending end of the Giuliani campaign has had me in a funk for the last few days. I kept looking for rays of hope but the writing was on the wall. I don't want to dwell on this, but for all his flaws Rudy was the first presidential candidate I've actually felt positive support for in a long time. And by long time, I mean decades.

As I've confessed here before (I think), I was not a fan of Ronald Reagan and I voted against him. Twice. Not because of any fondness for either of his opponents, but because back then I was still suffering from Sixties Derangement Syndrome when it came to all things Republican. Since then, my consciousness has been expanded in new directions.

Today, there are still few Republican politicians that I find palatable on most "social issues," although Rudy came pretty close. And there are even fewer Democrats that I believe have a clue when it comes to fiscal, economic and foreign policy, not to mention national security. So election time has become particularly stressful. I was no doubt singing these same blues four years ago. In fact, I was singing them two years ago. I do on occasion, however, find a kindred spirit or three out in this wasteland. Helps keep me sane.

So, yes, I'm moping today. And I'm cranky. I will get over it. I have two months to go before the Pennsylvania primary, and despite my best intentions, I'm still registered as a Dem. So even though it's unlikely to matter, I have to decide which stinker not to vote for. I continue to flip flop daily, so who knows? At least I (hopefully) won't have to listen to John Edwards droning on any more about "two Americas." That's the good news.

See ya around, Rudy. It was a nice dream while it lasted.